How to love an Idiot
Loving people is hard enough, but sometimes God chooses to bring a very special type of person across our paths, “The Idiot.” Idiots are hard to ignore, and even harder to love. They have a way of getting under your skin and irritating you. They are the fiberglass of relationships. Something about whatever they said or whatever they did will get to you. Their words, their actions–and sometimes their existence–drives you crazy. They come in all shapes, but the most common size is the “Big Idiot.” If you’ve ever found yourself asking, “How does this guy even remember to breathe?” He’s probably an idiot.
Idiots are at our jobs, schools, churches, and homes. Some think that Idiots are the sandpaper of character that Jesus uses to rub off our rough edges. Jesus doesn’t bring idiots across our paths to teach us things. He uses His Word for that. Jesus doesn’t use idiots to change us. He uses His blood and His Spirit for that.
Jesus has a much more diabolical plan. He sends us to the idiots so that we can love them. Jesus loves everybody, even idiots. He brings us across their paths because no one else will love them. God put us here for a purpose — to love difficult people.
How to Love Idiots
- Remember that God brought them across your path for a reason, and it’s not to punish you.
- Ask for God’s love to flow through you because you can’t do this on your own.
- Keep your mouth closed when you’re angry, but speak the truth when it’s the right time. Saying the right thing at the wrong time is still wrong.
- Get used to being around them because there are lots of idiots.
- Keep your relationship with God fresh, like we said, you can’t do this on your own.
- Share this with someone who needs it.